Happy 2019 everyone! I hope you all had a good Christmas and New Year. I wanted to take a bit of time before diving into my new year reading to share my favourites (and worsts) from the last year.
What was your favourite book you read?
1) Best 10 books
- Do you Dream of Terra-Two by Temi Oh
- Bruja Born by Zoraida Cordova
- Brother’s Ruin by Emma Newman
- The Silver Tide by Jen Williams
- Fire by Mats Strandberg and Sara Bergmark Elfgren
- The Last Children of Tokyo by Yoko Tawada
- The Night Sessions by Ken MacLeod
- The Bitter Twins by Jen Wiliams
- Runaway Girl by Tessa Bailey
- Ready Player One by Ernest Cline
2) For which book did you have expectations that were dashed?
Troll or Derby. A young adult fantasy where the main character plays roller derby – I thought I was going to love it but it was very disappointing.
3) Best new discovery, author or book?
Zoraida Cordova, author of the Brooklyn Brujas series.
4) What genre have you read the most?
Fantasy, again! Closely followed by Sci-Fi and Romance.
5) Worst books you’ve read in 2017
Seven Princes and Altered Carbon. I finished them both but I don’t know why I bothered.
6) What book surprised you?
Sabriel. I thought I was going to hate it, I actually tried very hard to dislike it, but I just couldn’t. I liked Sabriel as a character, I liked her magic, the supporting characters and the plot in general. I was happily suprised by it!
7)The book with the most interesting plot, characters, or structure
The Nakano Thrift Shop. Odd little plot, and if you want interesting characters then this book has them in spades.
8)The book that started off slow, but really picked up
Do you Dream of Terra-Two by Temi Oh. I enjoyed the slow pace though so I don’t know if it counts.
9) Favourite series
I have two – Brooklyn Brujas by Zoraida Cordova and Jewelfire Trilogy by Freda Warrington.
10) Favourite stand-alone
Do you Dream of Terra-Two by Temi Oh. Properly loved it.